Wednesday, March 10, 2010

SERAI Satay Bar - Giving the old sticks new vibe









Satays, as Wikipedia put it, is a street fare invented by the Javanese people before gaining popularity amongst the rest of the Southeast Asian countries. How accurate is that is debatable. However, what is not is the fact that satays is well-loved by all Malaysians, give or take a few souls. 

The delicacy can be found at every nooks and corners of the country, and it used to be that Kajang has the enviable reputation of producing the best satays around. Nowadays, you can even find satays in shopping malls. WHAT CONVENIENCE!!
Which brings us to SERAI SATAY BAR in Pavilion mall, where Ash and I have lunch one day out of curiosity. The whole 'outlet', if you can call it that, cos it looks more like a cubicle-like stall, is very nicely designed to give a 'bar' feel, hence the name. It all feels very contemporary and hip, and I give them kudos for attempting to bring the appeal of satays to a whole new level. Now you can eat satays and looks hip at the same time too. 
You can order to go or you can eat in, the choice is yours, though I have to say, what with just one table and two rows of bar counters, it feels like they prefer that you opt for take-away. 


Here, you can go for their mini packs where each pack comes with six satay sticks plus two condiment sticks. You can choose chicken, lamb or beef. The price range from RM 9.60 to RM 10.20 each cup. Yes, they put the satay and the gravy into a big tall plastic cup that looks really cool. 


You can also opt for the Jumbo Pack, which gives you 36 sticks or satay plus two condiment sticks. That will set you back by RM 50.00, which, though not exactly cheap, is not too bad either. 

Both of us ordered their Nasi Goreng Special that comes with copious amount of keropok lekor and two sticks of chicken satay. All for the price of RM 6.90.




At first, when our meals arrived, we felt that the portion is a bit 'smaller' than anticipated. However, looks can be deceiving. 
I also ordered another cup of chicken satays for the extra kicks. 


I really love the idea of putting the satays in the cup. It's so convenient just to grab a cup and enjoy satays while on the go. I wonder if they are the first to come up with such idea. Satays in a cup, yeah!!

For drinks, Ash has her usual teh tarik (RM 3.70), while I go for the cold Milky Bandung (RM 5.00)


The Milky Bandung taste OK. Not really something I would choose to have again.

One thing I have to mention here is, how fascinated I am by one of the staff working there. He looks like a Chinese, very, very tall, and has one of the biggest set of hands I've ever seen. When he set our meals on the table, one of my hands is on the table, and by comparison, the difference is like between the hand of a baby and an adult. They're HUMUNGOUS!!! I almost withdraw my hand in shame, hahaha..I was totally fascinated by that! What did he eat to get big hands like that, I wondered. I could just sit here and watch Mr Big Hand cook in the open-air kitchen all day long....




Well, if you like satays, then you should check out this place. Head over to www.sataybar.com.my to see their full menu. 

Serai Satay Bar
Lot pl.08.00
Level 1, Gourmet Emporium
Pavillion KL
168 Jln Bukit Bintang
56100 KL
Phone : +603-2143-7070
Email : serai@sataybar.com.my



1 comment:

  1. oke i've yet to do my review. but nice one there but calvin, we want the picture of hands!!!!

    ReplyDelete