Saturday, October 16, 2010

Beware!!! There's a New Daily Kopitiam in Town!!!

There's a new shopping mall that has recently opened its doors in KL, and it's called Farenheit. As if there aren't enough malls around the Jalan Bukit Bintang stretch already, we now have yet another place to hang out and dine. And dined I did one evening after work.

The place is called Daily Kopitiam. Zero point for originality and -3 points for creativity. I hereby implore all future restaurateurs to resist using the word 'Kopitiam' in the names of their establishments, because, let's be honest here, it's an overkill already. We have way too many 'kopitiam' this, 'kopitiam' that...it's sickening!




Now back to this place, Daily Kopitiam, which is located at the lower ground of the mall. I'm gonna be brutally honest here. This place is a mess....Not the physical kind of mess..but the overall experience of dining here is a mess. Allow me to elaborate...

First, their menu sucks! It offers the most basics of what an average kopitiam would offer, but even less. There are, I think, five to six types of meals you can choose from, and that's it!

I ordered the nasi lemak biasa, but was told that the meal is only available during breakfast time. Fine, the other option for me would be to order the so-called Nasi Lemak Special. And here is where I have the second problem. You see, looking at the menu, the only difference between the nasi lemak biasa and nasi lemak special, is that the latter comes with an extra serving of curry chicken and a fried egg. Now, my question is this - why can't they just remove those extras and serve me the nasi lemak biasa? And why is it nasi lemak biasa is ONLY available for breakfast, but the Special version is available throughout the day? Does this mean if I come during breakfast time, I can only have nasi lemak biasa, but NOT nasi lemak special? I just found this PERPLEXING!!!!


And it gets better....They actually forgotten my order after what seemed like 30 minutes of waiting. I have to remind them. And when the dish finally arrived, they give me two forks, instead of a fork and spoon. And the nasi lemak special ain't that special after all..unless you call that cheap china plate that they used to serve the nasi lemak is special. The sambal is cold and underwhelming...the veggies, soggy and bland, and the curry chicken is so oily, I can feel it coating my throat and pumping up my fat counter the moment i put the piece of chicken in my mouth. And yeah...if you noticed..there's no fried egg!! There's no frigging FRIED EGG!!! The price? RM 10.90



My fellow blogger, Ash, ordered their Penang Curry Mee (RM 9.90), which was as oily as the recent BP's oil spill disaster.

For drink, I ordered the oh-so-fancily-named Ovacano, priced at RM 6.90.




People...I'm telling you..NEVER had I been MORE DISAPPOINTED in my life, when I learned that Ovacano is nothing more than a glass of Iced Milo with spoonfuls of the cocoa powder sprinkled on top. Iced Milo? for RM 6.90? And oh..the taste is horrible too. I mean, really, how could anyone screw up a simple drink like iced milo??? Ovacano My ASS!



Meanwhile, Ash ordered the three-layer tea, also priced at RM 6.90. It doesn't look impressive at all.


And that's just the foods and drinks.....While we are eating, one of the lady staff actually started to mop the floor, something that no respectable restaurant should ever do during working hours when there are customers dining. The strong scent of the floor detergent really make the whole dining experience worse. Oh, and did I mention that there are two customers sitting next to our table who are, all the while,  busy swatting away at mosquitoes? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you read it correctly, there are actually mosquitoes in an air-conditioned restaurant that is located INSIDE a mall!!! Unprecedented, really...Next thing you know, the flies would be coming in for a big party.

So, to wrap it up, here's what I thought: if you're a fan of bad foods and horrible drinks with misleading names, yes, then please visit this kopitiam. But if you're sane like me and most other people, then do yourself a favor and stay away....

2 comments:

  1. it felt like yesterday you know. this visit. i'm still having nightmares about it. thinking how i can scrape out those oil in the bowl and fry about 7 fishes in it.

    sometimes, i find myself cowering in the corner saying 'never...never again'

    ReplyDelete
  2. had the worse experience at daily kopitiam at the weld. the chee cheong fun had a terrible after taste (probably because their plates weren't cleaned properly so i had that dish cloth taste in my mouth) and when I asked for it to be changed, they first said 'it was made today' and after insisting that it tasted bad, gave me another plate of chee cheong fun which tasted just as bad if not worse. I returned it and when i asked for the dish to be exchanged with something else the waitress (who stared at me like I just stole her money or her husband) had to ask me if i 'nak tambah duit tak?'. I never got the prawn mee which I had asked for as a replacement. NEVER EVER GO TO DAILY's KOPITIAM AT THE WELD BECAUSE THE SERVICE SUCKS, THE FOOD IS ROTTEN. STAY AWAY and spend your RM10.90 on Mcdonalds instead.

    ReplyDelete