Saturday, November 21, 2009

Size Does Matters @ Carl's Jr.




At Carl's Jr, it does....I have heard enough 'tales" form my friends about the legendary sizes of their burgers, so when an opportunity present itself one Friday to visit the fast food chain, I couldn't say no. (Yeah, my motto is : Never say never to food). The Carl's Jr outlet my friend and I visited is located in the Pavilion mall in KL, where I did most of my food reviews, solely because of its proximity and the large selection of goodeatings to be had there.







The first thing that struck me when i get to the restaurant is just how 'chaotic' the seating and furniture arrangements are. It's like they hired a schizophrenic designer who used to work for Ikea to come up with the layout and colour matchings. The wall seatings are Ok, but the big odd table in front of the menu counter and the small tables with squarish couch/seats scattered throughout the area just looked so out of place. And also, it's WAAAAAY too colorful everywhere you look. Someone should tell them that sometimes, less is more..Okay, enough bitching about the ambiance, let's meet up with Carl's Jr and his troop of legendary king-size hamburgers...




A quick glance through the menu tells me that they don't have that many selections to choose from (and you thought McD is bad). The star of the show is of course their GIGANTIC, HUGE charbroiled hamburgers...I ordered the Teriyaki Combo Burger, which is a MASSIVE serving of a BIG slab of beef chunk wedged between very generous amount of greens. The oozing black sauce on the beef is so good, it's not even funny...










And the fries that come with it...they are so good I almost bit my fingers off in my gluttonic haste to chow them down. And wolf them down I did. Now I've been to many fast food chains many many times before, but everytime i ordered fries, chances are good I will never be able to finish them. But this time, it's different. These Carl's Jr COLOSSAL fries, naturally-cut, are very satisfying with each and every bite. It very well redefined what good French fries are supposed to taste like for me. They certainly don't taste oily, 'lard-y" or empty-on-the-inside"-type other fries I've tried elsewhere (I won't mention name, but think creepy clown). These are actually cut from real, premium-grade potatoes!











My 'virgin' feast at Carl's Jr is definitely an eye-opening, stomach-expanding (and wallet-shrinking) experience. Carl's Jr is not only big in size, but also in taste. They're like the premium fast food restaurant that actually serve healthier and tastier meals (unlike the other fast food joint that I won't mention, but let's just say "I'm Not Loving Them", and  leave it at that).

The only gripe I had is that the price you pay for such good eatings is quite steep.. If they can tone down the price list, or come out with more 'value-meal" types for the medium-income class, that would be swell. To sum it up, I would say Carl's Jr got four of out five stars from me (one star deducted for the price factor). Burger King, you just got served! Now excuse me while I go burp some more...



No comments:

Post a Comment